I’ve been avoiding writing this post because writing this post means I will have to stick with it…
Long story short I decided after our move that I will not be buying any more clothes, accessories, or shoes until after July 2020. I kinda avoided telling hubby for a little while too because, again, saying it out loud would make it a concrete thing that I would have to follow through on.
I took the plunge and told him because honestly there’s nothing quite like a move to encourage you to get rid of things and question your decision of buying stuff. We did donate a bunch of clothes before the move and some after, but it really opened my eyes to the amount of things we acquired in just a couple of years.
The things I have now are things I feel like I will wear and use and love, but I really wanted to test that theory out. Do you guys have a ton of things to wear but only rotate through a few things? I know I do, so I wanted to see if I could encourage myself to wear more of things I already own.
At the end of the year the things I haven’t worn are going to be donated. I feel good and strong about this now, but I know it will get tough because I do love clothes and accessories and shoes…
I decided to do this for a few reasons:
- Avoid being wasteful-I keep buying new things so I don’t get as much use out of my clothes as I could/should.
- Easy to keep organized-I don’t have clothes overflowing out of my dresser/closet. This also allows me to see what items I am missing or what items I may need more of.
- Buying clothes/shoes/accessories is more of a want at this point and not a need. I have enough clothes for every occasion and season. I have more than enough jackets for the winter and plenty of dresses and shorts for the summer.
- A perk of not buying more stuff is saving some money honeyyy 😉
- It will get the creative juices flowing in terms of coming up with outfits and pairing things up that I may not have thought of otherwise.
I have plenty of rational reasons in my head, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that I am able to stick it out and do the darn thing. I will definitely do my best at keeping you guys updated…maybe even like a monthly update?!
Thanks for reading lovely peeps! Let me know if you’ve ever done something like this and how it went? Any tips on how to get through?