I LOVE bread and it’s not a secret. It is a very rare that I meet a bread I don’t like, but with that being said when I’m picking up a bread for home I am pretty picky. I used to be a huge buyer of whole grain bread, but I think I just got tired of it so I stopped buying it.
Once we moved to California I started buying more sourdough and at first it was solely for taste reasons, but I soon realized it’s so much more than just delicious.
There are a few reasons why sourdough is my bread of choice (all the time, but especially at home):
- It has a great shelf life. The hubs doesn’t eat bread…he doesn’t love it the way I do so buying a loaf of bread for one person didn’t make sense. It would go bad before I could finish it OR it would have a nice long list of ingredients to preserve the bread and make it last longer than the fries at McDonald’s. Neither of those were good options for me. I hate wasting food and I love whole food. Sourdough lasts what seems like forever and true sourdough has few ingredients.
- Short ingredient list-if you’re looking for a true sourdough it should just be flour, starter, water, and salt
- It’s great for your gut-I’m a believer that when it comes to your gut that every little bit helps and if I can get some Lactobacillus from my bread…why not?? I know I don’t always feel like eating yogurt or drinking kefir and those days a nice warm slice of sourdough is so inviting!
- No blood sugar spike! We know that carbs can spike up our blood sugar and leave us hungry (hangry, in my case) a few hours later. Not true with sourdough-it keeps it pretty steady.
- Taste 🙂 I told you already that this is what drew me in, but that’s what keeps me here as well. You can tell me that it’s a miracle bread, but I probably wouldn’t eat it if it tasted bad. I love the tangy, savory flavor! It’s my favorite!
Do you love sourdough? Tell me what your favorite bread is down below 🙂